Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Welcome to Berkeley

It was my third or fourth night in Berkeley when it happened; hopefully it wasn't the official welcome wagon. I was walking home from the grocery store, about 4 blocks away, with a bag of groceries in each hand. It was shortly after dark. As I walked up Cedar street, a well traveled street in the neighborhood, i felt a sharp pain in my back that propelled me forward a bit, causing me to stumble but not fall. An instant later, the car drove by me and I heard someone say "Whoa, we got him!" and they laughed as they drove off. And I realized that someone shot me in the back with a pellet gun. A few days in Berkeley and I'm already the victim of a drive-by shooting - shot in the back by a pellet gun! Fortunately, it really didn't hurt and left no marks. It surprised me more than anything else.

This is definitely a much more urban environment than Ann Arbor. Welcome to Berkeley - here's your pellet-gun shot in the back!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

yikes! I'm not sure how to feel about that! Let's just be thankful that it wasn't more serious!!