Sunday, August 19, 2007

Mount Diablo

This entry is really about a week late; we went to Mount Diablo just over a week ago. For me, it was a pilgrimage of sorts. When I was very young (2-5 years old in 1970-1973), my family lived in Lafayette, not terribly far from here. We used to have picnics at Mount Diablo, which we could see from our back yard in Lafayette. My memories of these trips are quite fuzzy at best, but my parents have assured me that wonderful times were had. So now, roughly 35 years later, we returned at last to Mount Diablo. The base of the mountain is only about 30-40 minutes away from us in Berkeley, which is nice. It's the tallest mountain in central California and on a clear day you can see as far away as Yosemite to the east. The weather was perfect - clear blue skies and warm, even hot, but not too hot. At some point during our ascent we stopped for a little picnic lunch.


At the top we took in the magnificent views and hiked the "fire trail" around the peak.


All in all, an outstanding day!

No comments: