Thursday, May 15, 2008

what am I, 25 again?

Since moving to San Francisco, I've needed a way to get out of the house and meet people. I work from home and the bulk of my social interaction is with an 8-year-old boy. So what's the solution I find? Join an adult kickball league, of course!

My friend Pamela (who I've known since college, 20 years ago) and I joined the WAKA Kickball League which has 4 or 5 divisions in San Francisco. We arranged to be put on the same team and ended up on the team called Galactic Prophylactic. Yes, it's a very silly name. It was inspired by an Eddie Murphy skit on Saturday Night Live. You can read the script here.

It's actually turned out to be quite a lot of fun. Although I'm 10-15 years older than most everyone on the team, it's actually a very nice group of people. We play every Wednesday night and I've come to really look forward to it. Unfortunately, we're terrible. We haven't won a game and we're in last place in the division and likely to stay there. But it's all about the fun.

I was worried that it would be too fraternity-like for my tastes. And it is a lot like that. A lot of jocks and former fraternity/sorority types drinking bad beer from cans while getting rowdy on the kickball field. But what the hell... it's still fun.


That's me diving for a ball in short-center field. I missed.


I don't know that I'll make any lasting new friendships from this, but it's helping to fill my social vacuum for now. Sometimes Pamela and I even go to the bar with the teams after the game to engage in team drinking games. I never would have thought I would play drinking games at 40. What the hell has happened to me?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jules! Nice to have you back in the blogosphere!

LauraJ23 said...

I went to Tampa a few months ago and friends there are on a kickball team, and it is fun fun fun!

Dawn said...

Adult kickball is all the rage...you're so hip! Some friends of mine in the Oak Park/Ferndale area have been doing it for about 4 years now and I've heard it's catching on in the Ypsi/AA area too. I think it's great that you're not afraid to do something different and have fun - sometimes there's nothing worse than acting your age!! :)