Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Zen and the Art of Palm Maintenance

I've never thought too much about palm trees until recently. On the five minute walk between the train station and my office I pass roughly 75 palm trees (no, I've never counted them, and I'm not going to). Recently, a crew has been doing maintenance on them. I never realized that palm trees needed to be maintained, particularly with such big machinery.



It makes sense that you should cut off the dead fronds, lest you end up with a tree like this:


But what surprised me was the workers striping the old remains of the fronds off. Here are before and after photos:



I don't see what the purpose of this is, other than to create a more manicured look. Personally, I prefer the "before" look to the "after" look. Anyone else agree, or is this just evidence of my preference for all things scruffy?

No comments: