Tuesday, March 3, 2009

ski weekend

I know... it's been forever since I've last blogged. I've been busy.

This past weekend we had our first ski weekend at Lake Tahoe. It was wonderful. We went with another family of three from our neighborhood; Jeffrey goes to school with their son. We rented a house in Truckee for two nights and drove up Friday night. On saturday it was a bit warm and sunny, but the snow was still good enough for skiing at Mt. Rose, just over the Nevada border on the north side of Lake Tahoe. It was Jeffrey's first time skiing and he did quite well. It was my first time in two years, since skiing in the French Alps. It didn't compare to that, of course, but it was much more mellow and less crowded, which we loved.

By the second day it had warmed up even more and was raining, so we headed to Kirkwood, one of the few resorts high enough to be above the snow line on warm days. And it was snowing non-stop. This place was nice too, but the constant snow made skiing slightly less pleasant. But it was great skiiing on all the fresh powder. Here I had my first fall, trying to ski down a black diamond slope I had no business being on. I like the blue squares the best. Steep slopes with moguls are just no fun for me.

I had been to Tahoe in the summer, but never the winter. It was amazingly beautiful in the mountains, particularly when covered with snow. We can't wait to go back again! Here are a few photos taken with my iPhone.


No comments: